Hot Stone Massage
Hot Stone Massage Therapy is the use of heated basalt stones in combination with therapeutic and relaxation massage techniques. The use of these thermal rocks is incredibly relaxing but may also be used for therapeutic reasons. Basalt stones have been subjected to a process that has left them naturally smooth and polished. Due to their volcanic origin, these unique stones are capable of retaining high temperatures when heated in water, and hold therapeutic qualities due to the mineral properties they posess. The larger the stone, the longer it holds it's heat. The stones are heated in water until they reach the desired temperature for treatment.
During the treatment, the heated stones are placed at key areas of the body, particularily on the back, chest, stomach, palms of the hands and between the toes. The RMT will then begin to massage and knead the muscles using the heated stones. Often Hot Stone Massage is thought of as being solely used for relaxation massage but depending on the techniques the RMT uses it can be received as a Therapeutic Hot Stone Massage. There are therapeutic benefits due to the heat used for the therapy as well, including increased pliability of the muscle fibres, and improved circulation due to increased blood and lymph flow. Hot Stone Therapy can be used for relief of tight muscles for those who do not tolerate deep tissue or therapeutic massage. This type of therapy can be beneficial for those with sleep disorders or insomnia, fibromyalgia, poor circulation, stress related disorders, and body aches and pains.
The 45 minute session is generally an upper body treatment, including the back, neck and arms.
The 90 minute session is a full body treatment.
More Benefits of Hot Stone Massage:
- relax tight, stiff, or achy muscles and joints
- can be used to prepare for a deep tissue massage
- helps with muscle spasms and muscle cramps
- aids in removal of metabolic waste
- alleviates stress and promotes relaxation
- re-energization as a secondary effect
- increases flexibility and range of motion
- helps boost your immune system
- relieves pain and discomfort
- helps manage anxiety and depression
Contraindications for Hot Stone Massage:
- high blood pressure (modifications may be made
depending on the severity)
- open wounds, infections or contagious skin
- a history of Deep Vein Thromosis (blood clots)
- immediately post-surgery
- refer to our list of Contraindications for Massage
Treatments are payable by cash, cheque or e-transfer at the time of your appointment.